Christmas trees account for hundreds of fires each year. Typically, shorts in electrical lights or open flames from candles, lighters or matches start tree fires. Well-watered trees are not a problem. A dry and neglected tree can be.
Here is everything you need to know about keeping your home and family safe from fires during the holiday season!
Facts About Holiday Fire Safety
- One of every three home Christmas tree fires is caused by electrical problems.
- A heat source too close to the tree causes one in every four of Christmas tree fires.
- December is the peak time of year for home candle fires.
- One-third of all candle fires start in the bedroom.
Safety and Your Tree Quick Tips
- Natural trees should be cut at a 45 degree angle
- Place tree away from sources of heat
- Use only non-flammable decorations
- Inspect lights for frayed wire or other defects before use
- Do not leave lights on unattended
- Keep the tree stand full of water at all times
- When the tree becomes dry, discard it immediately